Thursday, June 14, 2012

Recent Dress Codes Rules in Bangalore - For Students and Parents

Yesterday I read in a paper that certain colleges have banned female students from wearing leggings with kurta. The concept of this imposition is that leggings are tight and hence wearing tight clothes amounts to indecent exposure.

So this age long debate of appropriate dress code continues and I don't want to get into too much details. But what is appropriate and what is offensive? It is really ridiculous to just define a code.   I don't understand the trend, of illogically deciding upon a rule without even putting an iota of brain in it. How on earth are leggings bad or provocative? Most of the dress code restrictions only apply to women. Recently some workplaces too banned women from wearing sleeveless clothes. Agreed that there is a line between expecting women to wear clothes that exhibit self-respect and requiring them to cover their bodies, but why for God's Sake have irrational rules?

Now the latest dress code rule that I heard today is of a school imposing dress code on parents who go to drop their children. A school on Hesserghata road Bangalore has asked its parents to come suitably dressed and ofcourse for a change this time the rules are directed towards the fathers  also who come in shorts exposing hairy legs. The school feels that the school premises are not beaches so no shorts absolutely! Also they expect that parents shouldn't roll out of bed and arrive there in night dresses.

Well I can agree on the dress code rule for the parents...but still fail to understand the leggings one for the students.

3 comments:

  1. I don't disagree with schools having dress codes of parents - especially nighties.

    But having dress code for female students in colleges is absolutely stupid. Like I saw a slogan somewhere, "Teri nazar buri, toh main kyun burkha pehnun?"

    It is the men who have to change.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bang on! That is what I said I can agree to the school rules for parents but ofcourse why should women wear clothes under certain regulations,it should be absolutely fine as far as she knows the balance.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice article...may be a serious issue, but it seems to me bit funny when I read the lines ..."fathers also who come in shorts exposing hairy legs.."..ha ha...and "Also they expect that parents shouldn't roll out of bed and arrive there in night dresses"...
    Anyway, I. agree with you...But one thing I feel as I often see ..that is, though leggings has no indecent exposure generally, but it looks odd when a very fat girl/woman wear it with short top or kurti.May be college authority saw such type of student and got angry and banned leggins for all(joking)

    ReplyDelete